Wednesday, July 22, 2009

First night and first full day together...

Last night was loooong. He was very hyper and really wasn't sure about this whole sleeping thing. He is definately used to sleeping in his bed in the room full of many other beds. Once I got him to stay in bed, I layed next to him and just gently rubbed his head and back until he fell asleep. However, that is not where the night ended. He woke up several times during the night, and I mean several! He was a very squirmy sleeper, but when he awoke, he would sit up and rock himself. This broke my heart. He didn't know that I was there for him, so now I have to teach him that even at night, he is not alone, I am there for him. Everytime I felt him rocking, I would lay him down, talk to him in a whisper and rub his head again (that seems to relax him). I'm thrilled that he let me comfort him even when he is half asleep, I think that in itself is a very good thing, but I hope to get to where he knows he can ask for me and not have to even begin to soothe himself. It was just so hard to see that.

Today we walked to the market to get some t.p. and other supplies, and on the way back got a phone call that our code thingy was in and we were going to apply for his passport today. So, we thten had to rush home, unload te groceries, repack the diaper bag and get to where we were getting picked up (all in less than 30 minutes). We were picked up at 11am and didn't get home until 3:30pm. It was a long day at the passport office, but one well spent. Thankfully tey had a playground outside, so while we were doing all this waiting, at least we had something fun to do. Poor guy was just worn out after so much adventure. In fact, it is 5pm now and he is still asleep, I am about to wake him up so we can go eat dinner.

Maybe he will sleep better tonight after such an active day?!

Anyway, all things considered, I think he is doing great! Have I mentioned just how much I love this guy??!!


  1. Thanks for all of the updates! Glad things are going well!

  2. My Caleb (adopted from Russia in 2005) does the rocking at night too.:He's 6 and 1/2 now. ( I've tried everything I can think of to help him not rock, but he wakes up a few times in the night and this is what he does. It's a sad reminder that no one was there to hold him or rock him to sleep for over 2 and 1/2 years. For Patrick even longer.:( Please let me know if you have any ideas to try.
    Amy L

  3. I just sit here grinning as I read these updates! :)

  4. So glad things are going well, praying rest for you-and that the joy you now have sustains you for the journey home too! :) God Bless!